Bridge International College

Bridge International College

Pastoral Care



When international students come to New Zealand to study, education providers must ensure that students are well informed, safe and properly cared for. In New Zealand, we call this ‘pastoral care’. Students are entitled to be treated fairly, at all ages and at all levels of education.

To support this, the New Zealand Government has developed ‘The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021’.

NZQA (New Zealand Qualifications Authority) is the Code Administrator and monitors the quality of international student care and support under the international Code across all levels of the education sector, from schools to universities.

Copies of the Code are available on request from this institution or the New Zealand Ministry of Education.

This summary provides an overview of the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 and provides a procedure that students can follow if they have concerns about their treatment by a New Zealand educational provider or agent of a provider.

What should I do in case something goes wrong?

If you have concerns about your educational provider or an agent of the provider, the first thing you must do is contact the principal, the administrator, or another person who has been identified to you as someone that you can approach about complaints at your institution.

The Code requires all institutions to have fair and equitable processes before you can take the complaint any further. The Code also establishes NZQA to receive and adjudicate student complaints, to know more visit their website.

Scroll to Top